Every year on November 27, Russia celebrates the Marine Corps Day. It was established by order of the Commander-in-Chief of the Navy of the Russian Federation on December 19, 1995. The modern marine corps is a branch of the coastal forces of the Russian Navy, designed for combat operations as part of amphibious assault forces, as well as for the defense of naval bases, important sections of the coast and coastal facilities. Their motto is: “Where we are, there is victory!”
November 27 (November 16 according to the old style) in 1705 Tsar Peter I issued a decree on the formation of the first regiment of “naval soldiers”, intended for service in the boarding and landing teams of warships.
What are the capabilities of Russian Marine Corps?
Currently, the total number of marines exceeds 12,500 people, individual brigades are deployed in all fleets:
– Baltic (336th Guards Bialystok Brigade, city of Baltiysk);
– Pacific (155th brigade in Vladivostok and 40th Krasnodar-Harbinsk in Kamchatka);
– Black Sea (810th brigade in Sevastopol);
– Severny (61st Kirkenes Brigade deployed in the village of Sputnik, as well as a number of separate units in the Murmansk and Arkhangelsk regions);
– two separate battalions are part of the Caspian flotilla (in Kaspiysk and Astrakhan).
Marine Corps formations are also part of the group of forces deployed in the Arctic since 2015 – on the Novaya Zemlya archipelagos, the Novosibirsk Islands, on Wrangel Island and Cape Schmidt.
The armament is floating military equipment, portable anti-tank and anti-aircraft systems, automatic small arms. All connections are equipped with new BTR-82A floating armored personnel carriers (replaced the obsolete BTR-80, which has been in service for more than 30 years), and replenishment with unmanned aerial vehicles continues with the ability to conduct reconnaissance at ranges of up to 150 km and new parachute systems, communications and control equipment .
Source : TASS
Adapt : Dorian Archus